5 Signs You Need a New ThermostatContact Our Monroe county Technicians
When to Replace Your ThermostatA thermostat is your direct line of communication with your HVAC system. It ensures that the climate in your home is both safe and comfortable. With winter quickly approaching, having a working thermostat is essential for keeping warm. As we traverse the chilly season, the last thing you want is your thermostat to malfunction or break down. A Michigan winter means freezing temperatures and inclement weather – and coming home to a broken thermostat is not exactly the ideal way to spend the holidays.
Signs You Need a New Thermostat
- Heating or cooling system will not turn off or on
- The temperature reading is incorrect
- Recent spike in your energy bill
- Frequent temperature fluctuations
- Thermostat is 10 years old or older
HVAC Improperly Turning On/Off
- Your thermostat’s main function is to communicate with your HVAC. If your air conditioning or heating is not taking the prompts of the thermostat, the problem may be with your thermostat.
- The wiring inside a thermostat can become frayed and damaged, which can compromise the connection to the HVAC.
- If your thermostat unexpectedly turns your heater on or off, then it may be time for a replacement.
Incorrect Thermostat Reading
- If your thermostat is registering incorrect temperatures, then it may be time for a replacement.
- You can test your thermostat’s reading by using a portable indoor thermometer to verify the temperature is correct.
- The sensor in your thermostat can malfunction from old age, misuse, or manufacturing defect.
- Your thermostat’s temperature may fluctuate rapidly if malfunctioning, and this should give notice for replacement.
Higher Energy Bill
- If you find yourself paying more for utilities, your thermostat may be the cause.
- If a thermostat is not properly reading the temperature, it can cause the HVAC to work over time. If it is cycling multiple times within an hour, it’s using more energy than it should.
- When the air conditioning or heating is turned on randomly, the utility bill can skyrocket.
Constant Temperature Swings
- A malfunctioning thermostat has a harder time maintaining a setting, and may quickly shift temperature settings with no warning.
- If your central air has a difficult time maintaining the set temperature, even after lowering a setting for a test trial, it could be the thermostat.
- If this is happening, contact a technician to assess the thermostat.
Thermostat Is Old and Outdated
- As with any system, eventually, your thermostat will become outdated.
- Modern home thermostats tend to have about a 10-year lifespan but are usually replaced sooner due to innovations in the market.
- Non-programmable thermostats have become outdated and replaced by programmable (or learning) thermostats.
- Consider replacing and upgrading to a programmable thermostat, as this advanced technology allows for more programming options.
Call Iceberg Heating & Cooling today at 734-342-3420 or contact us online to schedule a thermostat replacement! We offer services throughout Ann Arbor, Canton, and Monroe, Michigan!
Why Choose Iceberg Heating & Cooling?
Family-Owned & -Operated Since 1998
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 24-hour emergency services
- Financing & payment plans
- Comprehensive maintenance plans
- Background-checked & drug-tested employees
- Licensed & insured
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau