With winter bringing in the coldest days of the year, it is important for Monroe homeowners to maintain a healthy indoor air quality (IAQ). Our frigid winters give us an unfortunate problem: since we are constantly turning up the heat and fighting off the cold air, we are not getting any fresh air in our homes. The warm, stagnant air combined with humidity, indoor cleaners, air fresheners, and myriad other pollutants can contribute to poor IAQ. Maintaining proper indoor air quality during the winter keeps your household both comfortable and healthy. Being experts in maintaining IAQ, the experts at Iceberg Heating & Cooling have provided some tips on making your winter a pleasant experience.
Change Your Air Filters Regularly
- A heater’s air filter provides protection against dust and debris that can cycle through your HVAC system.
- Changing out your air filters gives your home a line of defense against air pollution from your heating, and will help maintain a healthy IAQ.
- Change out your air filter every three months, or until you notice large collections of dust and debris.
Utilize a Portable Air Purifier
- Portable air purifiers are a good way to help clean polluted indoor air, especially if the problem is contained to one or two rooms.
- Modern purifiers are easy to maintain and are relatively inexpensive.
- For your air purifier to work properly, close off any doors or grilles while the device is running.
- A whole home purification system might be required for homes dealing with persistent and extreme IAQ problems. These systems require the help of experienced technicians to both assess the right purifier and install it properly.
Allow Fresh Air in Periodically
- Between the rain and snow, it can be difficult to find a time in Michigan to open a door or crack a window, but doing so will freshen your home with quality air.
- When possible, open a door or window to allow fresh air inside your home, but do this in short intervals.
- Do not leave any windows or doors open for long periods of time, as the cold air can drive up the energy bill.
- Giving your home access to fresh air in the winter also helps cycle out any allergens that have built up over the months. Our allergy season doesn’t start until the spring thaw, so take advantage of the brisk, clean outside air.
Perform Heating System Maintenance
- Whole house air filters may protect your home from your HVAC’s dust and debris, but better protection comes from maintaining your heater’s functionality.
- Dirty or malfunctioning heaters can pollute the air and can drive up the energy bill with improper use.
- Consult with a heating professional such as Iceberg to schedule your heating maintenance, and increase your IAQ year-round.
Iceberg Heating & Cooling Can Improve Air Quality in Your Home
Indoor air quality is important to maintain, and doing so will make your home a healthy place for the winter. If you are ready to schedule heating maintenance and improve your home’s indoor air quality, contact Iceberg Heating & Cooling today! We strive to provide cost-effective solutions that keep our Michigan homeowners both healthy and comfortable. Give us a call at (734) 375-1119to schedule an appointment today and meet your local heating professionals.