Your HVAC system doesn’t always get the appreciation it deserves. After all, without it you wouldn’t be able to sustain the Michigan cold. By showing appreciation, we don’t mean buying a cake and throwing a furnace-themed party. Instead, we recommend performing acts of kindness that boost the performance of your HVAC system. While we can’t guarantee your HVAC system responds to kindness with a warm hug, we can say you’ll experience more efficient warmth from your heating.
We at Iceberg Heating & Cooling value each HVAC system. Whether it be a heat pump, furnace, or boiler, an act of kindness goes a long way (by that we mean improved efficiency!). Monroe homeowners should always show a little appreciation towards their heating and cooling, and we have provided some acts of kindness you can perform today.
Replace and Upgrade Your Filters
- Your filters collect dust and debris from your indoor air, helping to keep it clean. But when the filter gets caked with dust it can no longer do its job effectively – and can compromise the efficiency of the unit. Replacing them regularly ensure your heating unit remains efficient and boosts indoor air quality.
- Replace your filters every 2-3 months, although this window might be shorter for homes with large families or with pets.
- Filters come in different variants, as the efficiency of filters is determined by a MERV rating of 1 to 16, with 16 being the highest level of efficiency.
- Before upgrading your filter, consult with an HVAC technician such as Iceberg Heating & Cooling to determine if the upgrade is beneficial to your system.
Monitor Your Supply and Return Vents
- Your supply and return vents work in unison to provide clean, comfortable air. Monitoring their condition is an act of kindness that is beneficial for the entire household.
- Supply vents expel the conditioned air created by your HVAC system, while return vents suck in the existing air, circulating it back through the system.
- Commonly, supply and return vents are in each room of the house, and you should inspect each vent for any cracks or damages.
- Dust, debris, and hair can lodge inside supply and return vents and should be removed to continue adequate airflow.
Clear Outside Units
- Although the Michigan cold gives us little reason to use the air conditioner, keeping the outside condenser from clutter is important year-round.
- A/C units become obstructed by leaves, snow, dirt, and debris, and build-up of debris can cause damage and compromised performance.
- Heat pumps are victim to build-up and clogging and should be thoroughly cleared to resume proper function.
Clean Your Home More Often
- Since your HVAC system circulates existing air, a dirty home can pollute indoor air quality.
- Clean your walls and floors with the appropriate products and vacuum regularly to remove potential contaminants.
- Disinfect countertops and bathrooms to avoid bacteria and allergens entering circulation.
Inspect Your Insulation
- Your insulation conceals heat and blocks outside cold in your home, and a quick monthly inspection is an act of kindness your HVAC system deserves.
- Check your attic insulation’s size and condition.
- If your insulation is below the attic floor joists, you may need more insulation installed.
- Multiple rips and tears in your insulation also give an incentive for replacement.
Install a Programmable Thermostat
- For the perfect act of kindness, why not make your HVAC system a little smarter?
- Installing a programmable thermostat allows you to schedule your heating and cooling every week.
- Programmable thermostats cut down immensely on energy usage and allow you to optimize comfort year-round.
- Iceberg Heating & Cooling provides affordable thermostat services to give your HVAC system that perfect act of kindness.
Your HVAC system may not directly thank you for your acts of kindness, but it’ll show enough reward with optimized comfort and a lower energy bill. If you are ready to install a programmable thermostat in your home, contact Iceberg Heating & Cooling today! Monroe homeowners deserve heating that is tailored to their preference, and our thermostat services give your HVAC system the function to do so. Give us a call at (734) 375-1119 to schedule an appointment and get started!